2020 has ushered in many “firsts,” but we didn’t expect opening a brick and mortar shop to be one of them. There is so much that is out of our own hands, so when the universe put this opportunity in our lap, we welcomed it with open arms. The soft opening for our shop on NE Sandy here in Portland begins tomorrow, August 14th, with our official opening on August 31st, with 95% BIPOC owned shelves.
When you walk in, you’ll be greeted by our mural designed by our talented friend Melanie Nead of Lonesome Pictopia. We asked her to paint Red Tail Hawk feathers on our walls to remind us of its warrior spirit, clear visions, and the ability to go with the flow. Take a look around the shop and you’ll discover some of your new (or long-loved) favorite brands and POC makers on our shelves, including the expansion of our own in-house clean beauty and lifestyle product line. Read on to learn more about our makers, our juicy shop opening giveaway, and more magic to come.
When we set out to open our Portland shop, we knew the space would foster sustainability and community, from having our letterpress to make our own tags with, to using our platform by amplifying BIPOC voices and brands. We want you to know you have a safe space to come into. You’ll know the “who, how, and where” behind the products we make, and you just might learn more about yourself in the process.
Local Portlanders, you’re in for a treat. If you are outside of Portland, these (95% BIPOC owned) brands make nine more reasons for you to come visit:
- Make & Mary Masks and Reusable Face cloths by Hidden Opulence, a local Black Queer Latinx-owned design house
- CBD Chocolates by Flor de Maria, a Mexican Maker
- Palo Santos Holders, Match Strikers + small dishes for masks and such from Lemon Glaze Ceramics, a Mexican Maker
- Nip Boobie Ceramic Tumblers by Niko, a local Portland Maker. Use these for candles, or for a planter for your indoor jungle-in-progress.
- Attuning Hair Potion by Frigg, a Black Women-Owned business
- CBD Cleansing Bar Soap by Tess & Taylor, a Black Women-Owned business
- CBD Jotter Notebooks by Gold Leaf, based in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Ceramic Pipes and Mini Bowls ( Black and white with 24K Gold) by Stonedware Company, a Portland-based Maker
- Round Ceramic Pipes by AOK, a Portland-based Makers studio
Welcome to the experience: our shop opening giveaway!
You’ll also notice our expanded line of Make & Mary clean beauty skincare solutions and lifestyle products using cannabis aromatherapy, herbal adaptogens and full spectrum CBD. To welcome you into the shop experience, we’re hosting a highly inspired giveaway. One winner will take home our favorite in-house wellness products, including:
- let your soul shine cannabis candle
- CBD face & body serum
- all three moisturizing wands
- both cannabis essential oil inhalers
- both CBD oil roll-ons
We told you this giveaway was a juicy one. Here’s how to enter—just make sure your name is in the hat by August 28th to enter to win.
- Follow us @themakeandmary on Instagram
- Like this image on Instagram and tag at least two friends below (in separate comments, please!). Each tagged friend is an additional entry. Bonus entry for sharing this post to your Stories.
- Sign up for our newsletter here!
The giveaway ends on 8/28/2020 at midnight PST. The winner will be announced on (8/29 on Instagram Stories and on the original post itself). Only those within the US are eligible to enter. (Apologies to our international friends!)
Come shop & rest a spell
Starting, August 14th, we’ll be able to welcome in three to four socially distanced customers at a time, or by appointment. Send us an email to arrange personal shopping for your quarantine pod or yourself, or enjoy local curbside pickup for online orders.
Our store hours are 10:00 am – 6:00 pm Tuesday through Friday, or 10:00 am – 4:00 pm on Saturdays. Come for a visit and enjoy some local connection. We’d love to have you in to celebrate with us.