In light of the season’s turning, we’ve come up with a rad recipe for vegan elderberry homemade gummies that hit the spot for herbal support during this time. They’ll help you kick any first sign of the sniffles and they’re so delicious you’ll actually look forward to eating them!
Homemade Gummies Ingredient Feature
Elderberry (Sambucus nigra)
Elderberry is one of the most effective herbs to take at the first signs of a cold or flu. This herb can help kick out any nasty bugs before they establish camp, while also supporting and regulating the immune system so you’ll feel stronger and protected.
Elderberry is a top herb that herbalists always keep on hand this time of year. Not only does it support our immune cells, but it also slows viruses from further penetrating other cell membranes, effectively shortening the duration of an illness. The succulent-tasting berry is rich in Vitamin A and C, as well as flavonoids that help keep the heart and cardiovascular system in top shape. The best time to work with elderberry is right when you’re starting to feel those classic signs of a cold - maybe you’re feeling a bit rundown, your nose is suddenly runny, or you feel a tickle in your throat.
Inner Beauty Clear Skin Tincture
Make & Mary’s Inner Beauty Clear Skin Tincture is a dose of nourishment that allows you to shine and feel strong from the inside out.
Since a stressed-out body weakens the immune system, this full-spectrum C B D extract works with the stress response to provide balance and a proactive sense of calm in those high-tension situations. With ingredients like burdock root and calendula, the Inner Beauty Clear Skin Tincture also encourages the healthy flow of the lymphatic channels, removing excess debris and allowing our systems to work at their natural peak capacity. This way, both the body’s systems and stress response are in prime condition to handle any little illness the changing season throws at us!
Vegan Elderberry Gummies for Immune Support
These wildly easy, extra delicious homemade gummies may change the way you think about health-supporting rituals. Elderberry has a lush, juicy flavor that makes it hard to believe it’s so helpful for our bodies! These homemade gummies can be for your personal, seasonal-illness stash, or you can whip them up quickly for your family (and friends) when you hear something might be going around.
Yield: 50 small gummies, 5 mg C B D each. (The number of gummies you get will ultimately depend on the size of your molds, we used these). Duration: 30 minutes to make, 20 minutes to set.
3 tablespoons dried elderberries (Sambucus nigra)
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon agar powder (100% strength)
1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
½ teaspoon fruit/superfood powder - beet powder, indigo blueberry powder, butterfly pea flower, etc. (optional, for a richer color and nutritional boost)
10 dropperfuls Make & Mary Inner Beauty Clear Skin Tincture
- Add the elderberries and water to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, cover, then reduce heat to low for 20 minutes.
- Use a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl to separate the berries from the liquid, then return ¼ cup of the liquid to the saucepan. (Enjoy the rest as an immune-supportive tea.)
- Add the agar powder, maple syrup, and superfood powder (optional) to the saucepan and whisk until evenly combined.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. The heat will activate the agar and allow your gummies to set in the molds.
- As soon as it starts to simmer rapidly - or you notice that the liquid is starting to thicken - remove the saucepan from the heat and mix in the Make & Mary Inner Beauty Clear Skin Tincture.
- Acting quickly so the mixture doesn’t set, use your dropper to transfer the gummy juice carefully into the silicone molds.
- Set your homemade gummies in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes to set.
- Enjoy 5 gummies (25mg CBD) up to 3x/day at the first signs of feeling rundown!
For storage, your gummies will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days in an airtight container.
It’s no surprise that back-to-school season comes packaged with a few sick days, so we’re keeping this homemade elderberry gummy recipe on deck just in case. One of the most wonderful properties of elderberry is that, along with its champion ability to crack down on colds, it’s also safe for kids! We can’t promise anything, but we’re fairly certain you won’t hear any complaining should your crew need a dose of elderberry magic.