Trendy publications and mainstream health news have been touting (and bashing) the practice of yoni steaming. But what is “yoni,” and how does steaming provide holistic benefits? We’ll explore the wondrous roots of this ancient practice, discuss the nourishing benefits of yoni steaming, and share a soothing ritual that will leave you highly inspired.
History of Yoni Steaming
The term “yoni” is a Sanskrit word that means “source,” “sacred place,” “womb,” and “vagina.” It originates from an ancient description of the divine feminine and source of life. So while yoni means female genitalia, symbolically, it also represents a deeper bond with the divine energy that innately connects us with our intuitive bodies, nature, and the cycle of creation.
Yoni steaming is a practice and ritual that honors this source and physical “womb” through herbal steaming. Its roots reach back to ancient China and Mayan culture, where one would sit over an herbal steam bath, and vapors would cleanse and support the external vaginal areas. The experience nurtures the sacred site by soothing and unblocking physical and/or emotional trauma that may be present. Women were also inspired to yoni steam to unlock the magic of the womb and divine feminine within.
Benefits of Yoni Steaming
A ritualistic yoni steam can provide holistic and soothing properties to the sacrum, pelvic floor area, or “feminine crown.” For those managing menstruation issues, transitioning through menopause, working through trauma, or wanting to foster a flourishing relationship with the “source,” yoni steaming is a beautiful place to start.
With supportive herbs, steaming the vaginal area may:
- Support the natural cleansing process of menstruation
- Therapeutically soothe hemorrhoids
- Detoxify the womb
- Soothe yeast and UTI discomfort
- Release blocked energy
- Ease irritation during and after intercourse
- Soothe menopausal discomforts, like dryness and irritation
- Encourage sensuality
- Support the process of working through emotional or sexual trauma
- Deepen the bond with divine feminine energy
- Aid postpartum recovery
- Inspire and stimulate creativity
- Promote a stronger personal relationship with the self
Since this practice involves hot water and steam, it’s essential to use caution and always test the temperature of the steam before proceeding. Avoid using essential oils as they may harm sensitive genital tissues.
Yoni Steaming Herbs
There’s a wide variety of herbs that have an affinity for the sacred yoni region. When the herbs infuse in hot water, some of their active constituents and volatile oils travel through the steam to nourish the vaginal area. The Make & Mary Empress Loose Leaf Tea is the perfect versatile blend that can be enjoyed as a brew or steam that delivers sensual, therapeutic, and divine energy.
Rose (Rosa spp.)
Gentle rose has a soothing and relaxing effect on physical and emotional manifestations. Its cooling energy calms redness or irritation and relaxes tender yoni tissue. The petals are also known to enhance libido and cultivate sensuality. Including rose in a yoni steam can help release stress and tension throughout the feminine crown and invoke the power of calm.
Raspberry Leaf (Rubus idaeus)
Raspberry leaf has an affinity for the uterus. It’s often used as a tonic, and its astringent qualities nourish and tone uterine and pelvic tissue. While raspberry leaf tightens and restores elasticity to the sacral area, it’s also revered for its relaxing nature. Using this herb may soothe excessive bleeding during menstruation.
Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla)
One of our favorite gentle yet powerful herbs for nurturing vaginal tissue. Chamomile is wonderful for working with stuck emotional energy, and its therapeutic effects support postpartum, menstrual, or menopausal redness and irritation.
Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
Soothing and peaceful lavender. This aromatic herb ameliorates discomfort brought on by menstruation, intercourse, birth, or menopause and promotes an overall sensation of serenity. Its volatile oils travel easily through the steam and nurture deep into the yoni tissues.
Hemp (Cannabis sativa)
Hemp is naturally stress-relieving for the entire system and has a gentle moisturizing quality. When administered through steam, it boosts circulation to the area, inviting natural therapeutic responses from the body and flushing out energetic barriers.
Yoni Steaming Ritual
We find the most profound nourishment when we call and invite in therapeutic energy while preparing the herbs. This allows us to enter a soothing space and feel the divine feminine power throughout the yoni steam.
Avoid steaming during your period and if you’re pregnant. If you have an IUD, the recommended time for steaming is no longer than 10 minutes. Consult with a healthcare professional if you have further questions about your health and would like to try yoni steaming.
- 1 cup Make & Mary Empress Tea Blend
- 8 cups water
- A heat-proof pot
- A potholder
- A blanket or towel
- A yoni chair (you can also use any of these methods if you don’t want to purchase a yoni chair) Really love the idea of childs pose with this ritual!
- Add water and herbs to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover, then reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Test the steam temperature with your hand. The steam should be a comfortable temperature (like a sauna). If the steam is too hot, let it cool for a few more minutes and continue to test the temperature until you feel comfortable with it. Avoid “bearing through” the heat as this can result in injury – it should feel pleasant.
- Place the potholder under the yoni seat with the pot of steaming herbs on top. (Alternatively, place the pot on the floor and do a child’s pose or tabletop over it with pillows under your elbows for support.)
- Remove all clothes from the waist down, place the towel or blanket around your waist, and sit over the hole with your sacral area over the pot. The blanket should create a covered space over the chair, trapping the steam and heat.
- Breathe in and envision the nourishing herbs entering the womb, cleansing and soothing the physical, spiritual, and mental energy within.
- Steam for 10-30 minutes, depending on your menstruation history and constitution.
- When you’ve completed your steam, be mindful and gentle with yourself – move slowly, drink water and/or herbal tea, and soak in the therapeutic experience.
If you’re a visual learner, we love this yoni steam video – follow along for inspiration and guidance.
Engaging in a ritual around the sacred yoni space has the potential to raise vibrations and cultivate elevating energy. The many bountiful benefits of yoni steaming not only influence physical and mental health but encourage a deeper connection with ourselves and the divine feminine. Experience this beautiful practice and tap into your blossoming inner wisdom.
If yoni steaming has piqued your interest, you might want to try some of these other inspiring and sensual rituals and products.
Have you Ever Heard of a Bed Date?